PRINCETON, N.J. -- After turning in 14 points on eight goals and six assists for Princeton, freshman Michael Sowers has earned Player/Rookie of the Week, the league announced Monday.
- Brown, Princeton ,and Yale opened up Ivy League play. The Bears defeated Harvard, 13-8. The Tigers took down then-No. 19 Penn, 17-8. The Bulldogs cruised past Cornell, 17-8.
- The Ivy League owns a 15-19 non-conference record.
- Princeton is ranked 12 in this week’s Nike/USILA Coaches’ Poll and 13th in the latest InsideLacrosse Poll. Yale and Penn are receiving votes in both polls.
- Princeton freshman Michael Sowers has 40 points (19G, 21A) in just seven games, making him the second-fastest Princeton player to ever reach 40 points.
- Brown senior Dylan Molloy is 41 points shy of becoming Brown’s all-time leading scorer. The senior has 275 career points to rank second behind Darren Lowe ’92.
- Harvard’s Morgan Cheek ranks third in the country in points per game (5.83) and goals per game (3.50).
- Dartmouth leads the nation in caused turnovers, forcing 11.80 turnovers per game. Timmy Burke and Kyle Clampitt pace the Big Green forcing 1.60 turnovers per game.
- Brown’s Dylan Molloy and Yale’s Eric Scott were selected as candidates for the 2017 Senior CLASS Award in Men’s Lacrosse.
- A total of 10 Ivies were among the 50 men’s lacrosse players named to the Tewaaraton Award Watch List. Highlighting the group is Dylan Molloy, the 2016 Tewaaraton Award honoree. Princeton’s Austin Sims and Zach Currier were added to the list March 16.
- This week’s schedule features key Ancient Eight matchups, including No. 12/13 Princeton vs. Yale, live on ESPNU on Friday, March 24 at 2 pm. Four of the other seven games are available on ILDN.
TUESDAY, MARCH 21
Cornell vs. Colgate, 5pm [ILDN]
Brown vs. Holy Cross, 7 pm [ILDN]
Harvard at Boston University, 7 pm [PLN]
Dartmouth at Navy, 7 pm [PLN]
FRIDAY, MARCH 24
Yale at Princeton, 2 pm [ESPNU]
SATURDAY, MARCH 25
Brown at Massachusetts, 12 pm [UMass Sports]
Penn at Cornell, 1 pm [ILDN]
Harvard at Dartmouth, 4 pm [ILDN]
EXPANDED COVER FOR 2017 LACROSSE TOURNAMENT
The Ivy League and ESPN have agreed to expand the coverage of the 2017 Men’s Lacrosse Tournament with all three games being nationally televised on ESPNU. The 2017 Tournament, which will be held May 5-7, will take place at the site of the tournament’s top seed.
PLAYER/ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Michael Sowers (Dresher, Pa.) continued his torrid pace for the Tigers’ picking up his third weekly award for the 2017 season. Sowers had eight goals and six assists for a 14-point week to led the Tigers to a 1-1 record against two ranked opponents. Sowers registered three goals and two assists for five points in a tough 16-11 loss at No. 5 Rutgers. In the Princeton’s Ivy opener, Sowers was a dominant offensive force as the Tigers’ downed No. 19 Penn, 17-8. The rookie netted five goals while dishing out four assists and registering one groundball and one caused turnover.
Sowers now has 40 points, with 19 goals and 21 assists, in just seven games. He is currently third among Princeton freshmen all-time in both assists and points, trailing only Hall-of-Famer Kevin Lowe and former standout Ryan Boyle.
This marks the fifth weekly award for No. 13 Princeton as Zach Currier (March 6) and Austin Sims (March 13) join Sowers as honorees this season.
Sowers’ Weekly Statistics
1 GP, 3 G, 2 A, 5 Pts., at No. 5 Rutgers
1 GP, 5 G, 4 A, 9 Pts., 1 GB, 1 CT at No. 19 Penn
Morgan Cheek, Harvard (Jr., A – Wellesley, Mass.)
1 GP, 3 G, 2 A, 5 Pts., 3 GB at Brown
Stephen Hudak, Brown (Jr., M – Rydal, Pa.)
1 GP, 3 G, 1 A, 4 Pts., 2 GB, vs. Harvard
Phil Goss, Brown (Fr., G – San Francisco, Calif.)
1 GP, 8 GA, 8.00 GAA, 11 Saves, 57.9 SV% vs. Harvard
Connor Keating, Penn (Jr., LSM – Gladwyne, Pa.)
1 GP, 7 GB vs. No. 15 Princeton
Richie Loftus, Dartmouth (Jr., A - Dallas, Texas)
1 GP, 3 G, 3 Pts., 3 GB at North Carolina
Ben Martin, Dartmouth (Fr., A - Arlington, Va.)
1 GP, 2 G, 2 Pts., 1 GB, 1 CT at North Carolina
Dylan Molloy, Penn (Sr., A – Setauket, N.Y.)
1 GP, 3 G, 1 A, 4 Pts., 3 GB, 2 CT, vs. Harvard
Jackson Morrill, Yale (Fr., A – Baltimore, Md.)
1 GP, 1 G, 2 A, 3 Pts., 1 GB vs. Cornell
Ben Reeves, Yale (Jr., A – Macedon, N.Y.)
1 GP, 4 G, 2 A, 6 Pts. Vs. Cornell
Jeff Teat, Cornell (Fr., A - Brampton, Ont.)
1 GP, 2 G, 3 A, 5 Pts., 3 GB, 2 CT at Yale